Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Impact of first six years/Developing self-concept

For the most part, I agree with the statement, "to a large extent, your self-concept is formed by what others tell you about yourself, especially during the formative years of childhood."
When you are told you are worthless, you will never amount to anything, and other negative statements, you will obviously develop a negative outlook on yourself. I can't say everyone, but I believe most people would ultimately feel like what that person is saying is true, that they will in fact, amount to nothing. On the other side, if someone is telling you that you are a wonderful person, you can do anything you put your mind to, and other positive statements, you would be likely to believe in yourself and develop a positive outlook on yourself. I do feel that there are gray areas though. If a child has a parent telling them they can do anything they put their mind to, and that they are a great person, what happens when they fail at something? I feel then, that the child could begin to develop a negative self-concept. It could also go the other way, they could be being told that they are worthless, and do something wonderful and develop a positive self-concept. I think it also depends on your personality. Everyone handles things differently.
Experiences I had when I was in my formative years of childhood were things like schoolwork or sports. My mom always told me she would be proud of me as long as I did the best I could in anything. That definitely helped me develop a self-concept because I knew, as long as I tried my hardest I wouldn't disappoint her. My dad was the same way. He knew that I could do great things, if I put my mind to it, and gave it all I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment